Monday, May 16, 2011

Beachy Thoughts

Illustration by Carmen L. Brown, 1917 - courtesy of Monday's Child

At the Shore

Another sunny morning at the shore and
The ocean greets my piggy toes in cool, foamy waves.
The shells on the beach and also in my bucket
Have a glowing iridescence: it’s like silvery silk, wrapped around a tiny world.
Everyone should have a morning like this at least once.
Starfish and conch and mussels swim by in the salty water.
“How do you do?” I sing, greeting each one with a smile.
Only time will tell if they’ll
Remember me after I’m grown, but
Every once in a while, when I see a pretty shell, I believe that they will.

###


Poetic form: Acrostic

Process notes: This illustration brought back memories of when I was little and I visited my grandparents, who lived in Atlantic City.  I always looked forward to walking the beach so I could see the treasures hidden in the sands, and also, I loved stand in the shallow waves and feel the water tickle my toes.

8 comments:

  1. A delightful child's view of a day at the beach. Quite and enjoyable read, RJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how a child place everything on the same level as they are and delightfully believes...if we only could stay that way...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a great source of fun poetry. Yes a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. clever acrostic ! Fun in the write too !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. brings back many great memories ... love the photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much for your kind comments! I will try to respond when I have time, but I am trying desperately to get a novel finished for submission before my window of opportunity closes.

    It's a long (but good!) story - and I'll write something about it in a post this week,

    Again - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first visit to your site and a curious I am I will be back again. Nice piece on the beac and being born and raised in California it took me there again. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i miss it i cannot wait!

    i came by to say this: As Poets United reaches its first anniversary this week we want to thank you for your support. Over the past year, we have grown to 250 members plus and are steadily growing. Poets United is proud to have you as one of our members and look forward to another successful year. Your imagination, creativity and willingness to share with us is what makes our community such a wonderful place. Thank you for beautiful poetry and thank you for being a part of Poets United.

    ReplyDelete