Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Fit for a King

Excalibur the Sword/Arthur by Howard Pyle, 1903; image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons


Excalibur

“Whoso pulleth out this sword of this stone and anvil is rightwise king born of all England.” ~Thomas Malory

The legend, as was told throughout
the ages is that from great doubt,
a boy became a king because
he pulled the sword, without a pause

from anvil, stone and magic spell
and when he did, there was a knell
of church bell, and from some, applause.
He pulled the sword, without a pause,

predicted by a wizard and
a lady who did guide his hand.
Young Arthur met the terms, the clause:
he pulled the sword, without a pause.

The legend, as was told throughout:
he pulled the sword, without a pause. 

###

Notes: the form is Kyrielle Sonnet.  The 30 x 30 Challenge today is 'Fit for a King.'  I decided that it might be fun to use the Arthurian legend of Excalibur.

14 comments:

  1. The form works so well for this piece. Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't about to think of Arthur - very nice, creative and good use of form!

    BTW, I found "Our Lost Jungle" through you when I was checking out your blog because of "Poetic Bloomings" - thanks so much for that. I am enjoying trying this challenge as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found it! I'll check out your site later this evening. :D

      Delete
  3. It took me a moment to get the rhythm of it; I'm just not used to it! Once I caught on the rhythm, it flowed very well! I love the way you wrote the poem. The structure fits the subject so perfectly it's almost as though you pulled the poem form the history books. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Since I ♥ history, that's a huge compliment!

      Delete
  4. Great fit to the theme and the form went well with it! Think I remember reading some of you stuff on Brewer's page. Nice to meet ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meetcha too! And yep - I've been a Poetic Asides contributor for years!

      Delete
  5. You know ... with all the "kingly" thoughts I had with this prompt, King Arthur never even crossed my mind! This is an impressive poem, really well done; I can imagine kids having to learn this to remember the basics of the Arthurian legend :) But also the magic of it is wonderful, a an adult, to remind of the wonder of this enduring legend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thank you! I just started with the first thing that popped in my head - and this was it. :D

    ReplyDelete