Monday, June 10, 2013

The Emerald City and Other Green Tales

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons


Shades of Green-ish

Some idioms make use of green
like green with envy or green light
or l’il green apples…what I mean
is green-eyed monsters can ignite
a green-list poem.  So, I’ll write
about green thumbs, ka-ching! (green stuff) –
Just hope I don’t sound green or trite.
Regarding green: can’t get enough.

A hedge between keeps friendships green,
but green around the gills?  You’re ill.
So now, let’s talk of hue:  you’ve seen,
no doubt, some shades like shamrock, dill,
pistachio and olive. Still…
want more?  Try forest, honeydew,
chartreuse, a newly-minted bill…
You get the gist.  Now let’s do blue.

###

Notes:  The form is Huitain.  You can find out more about it at The Poets Garret.  Today's Thirty by Thirty Challenge is, as you probably guessed, 'green.'  I love prompts that have to do with color, so this was a lot of fun for me.  

As an aside, you might think that, for inspiration, I am listening to music by Green Day or maybe even the soundtrack from The Wizard of Oz (and yes, I do love both, actually!) but oddly enough, I am not.  Instead, I'm listening to Ghost Town.  Last night, I took my daughter to see them (along with some other great bands) at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park.  My daughter was in total heaven, which was very cool.  But interestingly enough, one of Ghost Town's songs is titled Zombie Girl.  And since zombies fairly often are depicted as being kind of green - well - there you are!  

Be green.


4 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, please ... let's do blue, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of green! Love the way you jump off one thought into another without losing your way. Green was sure your thing today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! (And yes, since I'm already lost, I cannot ever lose my way!) Thanks!

      Delete